City of Thieves #1 Fighting Fantasy Actual Play

I am playing the Fighting Fantasy City of Thieves game on steam, I am just going to do a straight play through and see where I end up.

City of Thieves, 1983

I am going to play in Adventurer mode, this is as Ian Livingstone designed it, but I have the future option of Hardcore Hero - which is the same game with reduced skill and provisions.  Lastly, you can try Free Read, essentially cheat mode!

I roll my Stamina.... 11 plus a base of 12 = 23, a great start!  Skill next, oh my days, a 1, meaning a starting skill of 7, I'm really going to need that high stamina.  Gah Luck is a 2, so a starting luck of 8, I better have better luck as I'm rolling, but as they say... the dice giveth, the dice taketh away.

I can choose a Potion to take with me, Skill, Strength or Fortune, I think I'll go for Skill, it's super low, I need all the help I can get in that department.

Next a note on Provisions, I start with 10, each provision pack restores 4 Stamina.  For Hardcode mode, I'd have started with 3!

Any Decisions below are highlighted in blue, any combat or loss of stamina/skill in red. and green when I use luck.

Here is the blurb, I'm an adventurer in a world of monsters and magic, ... living by the quickness of wit and skill of sword... apparently I'm a dragon-slayer.  

Here Be Spoilers

The Adventure begins...

I arrive at Silverton, it's a prosperous town, but the townsfolk look nervous and the buildings are all locked up, but I am tired and weary after a day on the road and decide to stay the night.

I get a room at The Old Toad when Owen Carralif, Mayor of Silverton, enters.  He tells of a curse from the Night Prince Zanbar Bone, he wanted the mayor's daughter, Mirelle.  Now Spirit Stalkers attempt to take Mirelle, each night they send Moon Dogs to attack and kill the townsfolk.  The villagers think they should give Mirelle over to Bone, but the mayor has another plan - go to Port Blacksand, find Nicodemus, a wise wizard, he alone may know how to kill Zanbar Bone.

The mayor gives me 30 Gold Pieces and the finest broadsword I've ever seen, we shake hands and drink the night away, before collapsing into bed.

Gates of Port Blacksand 

It is the morning and I set out for Port Blacksand.  A few days pass and eventually I see the port ahead and arrive at the city gates.  A guard steps forward and I tell him that I wish to be taken to Nicodemus. The guard nods and rings a bell, immediately two other guards come running and grab my arms, they announce they are to throw me into the dungeons, but I've been in worse scrapes, I allow them to lead me away, my chance will come.  

I am in the cells, they have thrown me into one, next to a frail, white-haired old man.  The old man asks for 10 gold pieces to free me from the cell.  I agree and he hands over an iron key, I open the cell and leave, somewhat puzzled.  I pick up my equipment and climb the stairs, I see two guards playing cards, I charge at them.

Fight [Two City Guards]

The first city guard feints and then jabs forward, a sharp cut opens up on my side, I grunt in pain.  I swing the broadsword but he ducks, the hilt of his sword slamming into my head, I stagger to the side and turn to face him.  The guard confidently steps forward but I parry his blow and head butt him as we tussle.  Blood drips from his nose, he looks angry.  He lunges forward, pinning me back as his blows rain down, one of them slices into my upper arm, I had managed to back into the wall, the blow mainly hits the bricks behind me, lucky, it could have been worse.  The guard winces as his sword hits the wall and glances off my arm, I slam my forearm into his face and he rolls onto the floor, coming up in a crouch, he spits blood as he looks at me through groggy eyes.  He steps forward unsteadily, his sword comes down, I deflect it, grab his wrist and ram my blade into his guts, his eyes open in surprise and he sinks to the floor.  I turn to the other guard, flicking blood and viscera to the floor, I beckon him forward.

The second guard edges around me, I try and hold back a fast lunge, but it slips off my blade and cuts into my thigh.  The guard steps back a ferocious look in his eyes, he beckons to me.  Another fierce exchange, this time the guard backhands me as we struggle blade against blade, his studded gauntlet cutting into my cheek and I feel blood drip freely. The guard tries an all-out attack, charging me.  I sidestep and kick him as he passes, he runs headfirst into the wall with a sickening crunch but manages to point a wavering sword at me as he clumsily turns around.  Again, we dance around each other, a few vicious blows and my arm hangs at my side, blood drips from another wound, it is almost useless.  Using the broadsword one-handed suits my style and allows me greater movement, I turn aside a blow from the guard and rake the sword across his back as he tries to spring away, he howls in pain, fear is etched in his eyes.  I step forward, I parry the first, the second, the third, he is weakening, as the fourth attack comes in, I step aside slam into him, knocking him to the floor, as he looks up at me in horror, I skewer him with the broadsword, leaning over it and staring into his face, as blood bubbles from his mouth.  I live.

I search the guards and find 2 gold pieces and a Merchant's Pass that permits me to trade in Port Blacksand, I creep past the main guard at the gate and walk into the city.

Locksmith Shop

I am at a crossroads, I decide to head west down Key Street I am outside a shop, "J.B.Wraggins, Locksmith", I decide to enter, I need information on Nicodemus.  Inside, I see a dwarf, he is cutting keys, I decide to come out with it, I need to know where Nicodemus lives.  The Dwarf looks at me suspiciously, he asks me why I wish to speak with Nicodemus.  I decide to tell him the truth.  The dwarf jumps off his chair, whistles and shouts "Kill the friend of Nicodemus..."  Two large black dogs enter the room.

Fight [Two Wolf Dogs]

The first dog leaps at me, I swipe it away with my sword, it crashes into a bench.  It scurries under the debris, appearing at my side and sinking its teeth into my calf.  My sword pommel smashes into its muzzle.  I hit it again until its jaws unlock and then I thrust my sword into its mouth, it dies.

The second dog is behind me, I wheel around as it charges me, I try to stab it but it lurches to one side, a fine line of blood springs up on its side as its claws skitter for purchase on the stone floor.  Again the wolf-dog attempts to rush me but I stab into its leg and it lets out a yelp.  I advance quickly as it cowers on the floor, but the crafty beast is faking it and pounces, grabbing my other arm its jaws closing like a vice and shaking me like a rag dollBlood starts to pour from my arm, I hear bones creak, the dog shakes me as I try and find purchase for a final blow, in desperation, I fall on the dog and bring my sword up into its stomach, it whimpers and I push harder, eventually it lies still.

Wraggins ran out of the shop as the fight began, I stay to search the shop, breathing heavily after two tough fights, I pick up 3 gold pieces and a skeleton key, I gain some luck and head out quickly onto the street.  

Alley of Arrows

The street turns sharply to the right, I feel eyes on me and then a boy runs out of the house and hands me a letter, "Arrows from six bows are pointed at you.  Leave 10 gold pieces in the middle of the street and keep walking. I laugh and spread my arms wide, continuing to walk along the street. I hear the whistle of arrows, I start to run, an arrow hits me in the back, another in the leg and then another in the side, I curse my luck as I hobble around the corner.

A girl beckons me into a house, she looks worried, I glance around and decided to enter An old man is in the house, he pulls out the arrows and the wounds heal themselves, I smile my thanks, but the old man is not smiling, he points to the magnificent broadsword.  Reluctantly, I hand over the broadsword and in return, the man gives me an ordinary fighting sword.  I swing the sword in the air, it's passable but it doesn't sing through the air like my previous weapon.  [You lose 1 Skill]

The Red House

Leaving the old man's house I head north, a house comes to my attention it is red and has a welcome sign hanging above it, I decide to enter it Inside, there are two glass bowls, holding a red and a silver scorpion brooch, stairs lead up to another floor.  I ignore the scorpions and head up the stairs A strange creature with a long snout and deep red, scaly skin sits and stares at me, it hisses, "You would like a scorpion brooch?I nod, it leads me downstairs, "Fortune or Health?", it enquires, "Health." I say.  The creature pins the Silver Scorpion brooch to my jerkin and I hand over 6 gold pieces [The brooch automatically restores 1 Stamina point after any battle].

I look admiringly at my scorpion brooch and leave the house heading north.  Two guards approach me as I walk down the street, I hand over my Merchant Papers, the guards hold it up to the light, turns it over and generally inspect it, eventually, they hand it back and let me pass, I hurry north.

The street turns to the right and I walk east, I spot a pile of rubbish, but on top are some shiny new boots, they look my size, so I try them on.  They fit perfectly, I feel light and steady on my feet.  [You gain 1 skill]

The Market Place

I am at another crossroads, I see a crowd cheering and decide to follow them to the north, this is Market Street, where it crosses Clock Street.  The crowd are loaded down with eggs and rotten tomatoes, they pelt a man in the stocks as I enter the market place.  I am offered rotten eggs to throw, I do so, but then realise my pockets have been picked, I've lost 1 gold piece.  I wander off to look at the stalls.  Various food is for sale and there is a man in purple velvet playing the lyre, I eat some of the delicious food.  Filling my stomach I gain 2 stamina, I decided to go and listen to the man play.  The man says, let me play and you will gain good luck, I decide to give him 3 gold for this tall tale.  [I Gain 2 Luck]

I purchase a Throwing Knife, a Climbing Rope, a Butcher's Meat Hook, an Iron Spike and a Lantern.  I have 5 gold pieces left.

I see a tent with a sign, "Madame Star, Calirovoyant", I enter.  The woman asks for 2 gold to tell me a glimpse of the future, of course, I agree!  She tells me I seek a wise man with magical powers, she tells me he lives in a hut beneath a bridge to the north - she warns me to be careful, the man does not welcome strangers.  She tells me to leave, she looks at me again, she seems very upset.

Singing Bridge

The rain sets in and I am on Bridge Street, I see a derelict house, but I decide to ignore it.  I am on the bridge, skulls of all types of creatures adorn it and the wind makes strange sounds as it blows through the structure.  I see a one-legged man approach, there are also stairs leading down to underneath the bridge, I get a bad feeling about the man and quickly head down.  I see a ramshackle hut built into the bridge, I knock and an old, white-haired man with a long beard, opens the door, "Explain yourself to Nicodemus."  I explain my mission, Nicodemus listens and then tells me how to defeat Zanbar Bone, only after sunset is he on this plane, I must also have a white unicorn in a yellow sun tattooed on my forehead to avoid being enchanted by his stare.  I must shoot him through the heart with a Silver Arrow, this will paralyze him.  Lastly, I must rub a compound of Black Pearl, Hag's Hair and Lotus Flower into his open eyes - he should decay within seconds.

Nicodemus then tells me, "Find the compounds and take this map, it will lead you to Zanbar Bone's tower."  I shake his hand and leave, feeling confident I have all the information I need to defeat Zanbar.  I head over Catfish River, I then carry on north until I get to a junction.

Pill Pusher

I head east down Candle Street, I spot an alleyway, it ends at a doorway with six skulls painted on it, one black and five white.  I walk down the alleyway and open the door.  A man sits at a table, he wears black robes and a skull cap, he asks me to sit down and says, "One of the pills is a deadly poison, the others harmless.  Swallow one. IF you live, I will give you 20 gold pieces. I ponder and then nod, deciding to play the game.  I sweat as the pill passes my lips... the man looks at me in a surly fashion, handing over a bag that chinks as I receive it, I smile back at him and leave.

The Old Babies

I continue down Candle Street, a plant pot smashes on the ground in front of me, I look up, I can see an open window and the sound of arguing, I decide to enter I enter a room full of weird damaged toys, two old women dressed as babies are fighting, they look at me, "Give us toys! Give us toys! I hand them the Iron Spike, they begin to bicker over it and I see a table set for dinner, I decide to try some of the soup.  The soup tastes foul, but I pinch my nose and swallow some of it The soup revitalizes me [Gain 4 Stamina]

Bay's Ball

I leave the house and the mad women squabbling and head east again.  I come to a wall with steps leading up to it, I hear grunts, growls and cheering, I climb up Strange creatures are playing a game with a leather ball and a wooden stick, they are Bays and this game is Bay's Ball.  I shout at them to let me join in They agree and hand me a stick, I think I am supposed to hit the ball over the wall, if I do this, I'll win the game.  The ball is thrown I swing with all my strength... but miss.  I get into an altercation with the losing team, I lose 10 gold pieces in the melee.

I leave and head west along Harbour Street, as I pass a beggar I toss 1 gold piece into his tin. [Gain 1 Luck]  I come across another alleyway, I turn down it, there is rubbish and mess strewn around, I hear a low growl, two vicious-looking dogs pad forward.

Fight [Two Wild Dogs]

The first dog snaps at me I bring the flat of my blade down hard on its head, it staggers backwards.  I advance forward whilst the dog is groggy and ram by blade into its chest, it dies.  The other dog bounds towards me, I swing my sword at it, gouging deep into its flank, it turns to clamp its jaws onto my arm, but I force the sword down its throat.

I wipe my sword clear of gore on the fur of the animals, look around the alley but find nothing.  As I come back out into the street, I hear the sound of an approaching horse-drawn carriage.  I quickly hide behind a barrel, as I see the driver and four horses thunder by.  

The Pirate Ship

I continue west and arrive at a tavern, The Black Lobster, this is also the end of the street and the quayside.  I see an old galleon, moored nearby, it flies the skull and cross-bones.  I decide to go down the jetty and board the shipI decide to stealthily climb a rope ladder hanging down from the stern I see a pirate guard and many boxes on the main deck, there is a door leading downstairs.  I try and sneak past the guard to the stairs.  Down below is empty, there are two doors, I hear snoring from one, the other is quiet.  I open the quiet door, inside is a small room, there is a steaming hot tub of water, I decide to hide behind the door to see who's bath this is.  A fat man enters and gets into the bath, I cough and point my sword at him I ask him for my ingredients list, he has nothing but, with a bit of persuasion, he tells me that, "Ben Borryman the silversmith can make anything, he is in Clog Street."  I note this information and then leave the ship and head back to Harbour Street, ignoring the room with snoring coming from it.

I carry along and then find a junction, turning east along Clog Street(!).  I see a boy lying face down, I stop to see if he is alright.  The boy rolls over, his face is green, his ears long and his teeth pointed.

Fight [Goblin]

The boy is in fact, a goblin, he slashes at me with his dagger, I put my arm up and it leaves a deep, burning wound.  I feint to step back and then thrust forward, catching the goblin in the stomach, the goblin tries to step to one side but stumbles and I run him through.

Silversmith Shop

I gain 2 gold pieces, a clove of garlic and some old knucklebones from the goblin sneak-thief.  I continue east along Clog Street.  I ignore a Candlemaker's shop and then spot the Silversmiths, I enter the shopI ask Borryman if he has any Silver Arrows, he does not, but I decide to pay him 10 Gold Pieces to make me one.  I leave and head further east.  I reach a junction and head north into Tower Street, a little way up the street two young men are beating an old man with iron bars, I shout at them to stop The two robbers turn to me and draw weapons.

Fight [Two Robbers]

The first robber hits me across the back with his club, I stagger and almost fall.  He moves in and brings the club down on my head, I throw up an arm and feel pain blaze through it as he connects.  I try and swing my sword into his side, but he is intent on finishing me off - swinging his club at my head, our blows fly past each other as we spin in different directions.  I try to slice at him as he stumbles past and hear a shout as my sword hits something fleshy.  Running forward, I plunge the sword again in his direction and see it pierce his arm as he tries to gain his footing.  I bring my sword down heavily on his skull but he thrusts up his club and my sword clatters off.  The club is brought down heavily on my foot, I hop backwards grimacing.  He jabs the club in my face, it hits my jaw as a step backwards and I see stars.  He swings the club into my side and I unluckily turn into the blow, a comedy gasp of air escaping my lips, as I feel I may vomit.  I try and move past him and his foot comes out, I trip and land on the floor, smashing my face into the dirt.  I roll over and look up and see the club descending at speed, I feel my sword in my hand and jab it upwards, stopping the club's descent.  The first robber kicks me hard in the side, I feel a rib crack.  I try and wrestle the sword out of the club.  The sword comes out and the club is wrenched from the robber's hand, sailing over my head, I get to my feet.  The robber puts up his hands and I swing through the arc, decapitating the robber's head and hands in one motion.

The second Robber steps forward, he has two daggers.  I swing at the robber and he tries to deflect my blow but the sword cuts into his arm and blood spurts.  He flings one of the daggers and I see it protrude from my upper arm, this arm is useless.  I heft the sword to my other arm, I try to defend myself but feel a puncture wound in my side, the robber steps back a grin on his face as I feel the wound burn.  My vision is darkening, I try and stay steady on my feet, but another quick feint from the robber and I feel another wound open up.  My breathing is coming fast now, I can barely hold my sword.  The robber drops to his knee, I pause, confused, he flings the dagger at me, I try to move but I look at the hilt of it sticking out of my chest, I feel my eyes close, I am falling...

...I am dead, My adventure in Port Blacksand has come to an untimely end and my quest to defeat Zanbar Bone and break his hold over the folk of Silverton has failed.  It seems that Owen Carralif will need to find another hero to save his people...

THE END.

Comments

Popular Posts