Kanalor's Second Battle

Kanalor and his fellow clansmen had easily dispatched a wave of Lunar conscripts and feeling confident looked on with disdain at the Lunar regular soldiers coming up behind.

I'd undertaken a bit of an overhaul of my character since the last battle, as outlined in the previous Kanalor blog.

Rolling for initiative I was near the top, this is what I had hoped with my human trait of Quick to Fight, I get to roll initiative twice, taking the best result, also I had the adventurer feat of Improved Initiative, a +4 to initiative rolls, I rolled terribly, a sign of things to come, but still ended up third to go.  

I'd realised that unless Kanalor actually hit, there were few powers I could call upon, and as the battle went on my dice rolls barely got in to double figures, I used Umath's Warband to reroll, both times failing, things were not looking good.

On the positives, I had some neat even miss triggers, through Catch One Breath, that as I became staggered (half hit points or less) gave me back 4 hit points, I got quite a few of these at a critical time that kept me in the game.  I could probably have disengaged but with players next to me also rolling like dogs, I felt, as the primary fighter, I should be in the thick of it, otherwise, the summoned demon horde we were facing could easily cut through the party.


Demon Snails...


Eventually, I got a hit in and immediately saw how effective the wind lord could be, I triggered a Deep Breath (lining up an Exploit for the next round), as well as doing some super damage I used a quick action to execute my Spear Thane's Maneuver, successfully saving to allow me an additional ranged attack, which... I rolled badly on, oh well, a real shame as my ranged attack had gone up from d6 to d8 thanks to Storm Spear.

After going down for the second time, the other members of the party rallied and saw off the horde, with a fantastic stealthy move from our Rebel. 

I am now thinking to swap out some of the more exotic attacks to just try and improve my ability to hit, our GM graciously gave us an incremental increase (a partial level up), I'd chosen more hit points, but may reconsider, perhaps some additional defensive capability with Shield of Arran.  

The law of averages said I should hit more in the next battle and I have reserved a number of Exploits that will come in handy, our party has also a lot of complimentary lightning and thunder buffs and attacks, that when combined could be quite devastating.  I think I also need to consider making the best use of my movement, so maybe something like Skilled Intercept to help me move around the battlefield and protect the weaker party members.

For now, though, I think I will stick with the same set-up, with us upsetting the Lunar army, I'm sure a chance for the dice to roll my way is soon to come...

Comments

Popular Posts